Prof. Dr. phil. Martin Kronauer, until retirement in October 2014 professor of social science with the denomination structural change and welfare states in international comparison at the Berlin School of Economics and Law. During the professorship at the BSEL he was also visiting professor at the University of Vienna and scientific advisor at the German Institute for Adult Education (member of the Leibniz Association), Bonn. Prior to the position in Berlin: research associate at the New School for Social Research, New York City; senior researcher at the Sociological Research Institute (SOFI) at the University of Göttingen; fellow at the Hanse Institute for Advanced Study; professor in temporary position for sociology and international comparative social science at the University of Göttingen; visiting scholar at the University of Oldenburg. He received his M.A. at the Technical University Darmstadt, his doctoral degree at the Free University Berlin, and his post-doctoral degree (Habilitation) at the University of Göttingen.
The new social question; social inclusion and social exclusion in international comparison; cities and social inequalities; the transformation of work and employment.
- Polarisierte Städte. Soziale Ungleichheit als Herausforderung für die Stadtpolitik. Frankfurt am Main/New York (Campus Verlag) 2013 (co-ed. with W. Siebel)
- Exklusion. Die Gefährdung des Sozialen im hoch entwickelten Kapitalismus. 2. aktualisierte und erweiterte Auflage. Frankfurt am Main/New York (Campus Verlag) 2010
- Inklusion und Weiterbildung. Reflexionen zur gesellschaftlichen Teilhabe in der Gegenwart. Reihe Theorie und Praxis der Weiterbildung des Deutschen Instituts für Erwachsenenbildung (DIE). Bielefeld (Bertelsmann) 2010 (ed.)
- Flexicurity. Die Suche nach Sicherheit in der Flexibilität. 2. Auflage, Berlin (edition sigma) 2007 (co-ed. with G. Linne)
- An den Rändern der Städte. Armut und Ausgrenzung. 2. Auflage, Frankfurt am Main (Edition Suhrkamp) 2005 (co-ed. with H. Häußermann and W. Siebel)
- 1981 M.A. in sociology, political science and philosophy at TH Darmstadt
- 1983-1984 Research on urban redevelopment and community participation at the New School for Social Research, New York
- 1987-2002 Research associate and senior researcher at the Sociological Research Institute at the University of Göttingen (Soziologisches Forschungsinstitut Göttingen, SOFI)
- 1988 Dr. phil., Free University Berlin
- 1997-1998 Fellow at the Hanse-Wissenschaftskolleg Institute of Advanced Study in the program “city and social structure”
- 2001 Habilitation (post-doctoral graduation), University of Göttingen
- 2001-2002 Professor of International Comparative Social Science/Sociology in temporary position at the University of Göttingen and faculty member of the post-graduate program “The Future of the European social Model”
- 2002 Visting scholar at the University of Oldenburg
- Since 2002 Professor of Social Science with the denomination Structural Change and Welfare States in International Comparison at the Berlin School of Economics and Law
- 2010-2012 Visiting professor at the University of Vienna
- 2008-2014 Scientific advisor at the German Institute of Adult Education (Leibniz Centre of Lifelong Learning) Bonn.