Ümit Akcay, Assoc.Prof. of Economics, has been a visiting scholar and lecturer at Berlin School of Economics and Law since 2017. He previously held positions at Istanbul Bilgi University, Atılım University and METU in Turkey between 2016 and 2017, at the Department of Politics and at MEIS in New York University in the US between 2012 and 2015, and at the Department of Economics of Ordu University in Turkey, between 2009 and 2012. He has a Ph.D. in development economics from Marmara University, Turkey.
- International political economy.
- Political economy of growth regimes.
- Financialization in emerging capitalist countries.
- Political economy of new authoritarian regimes
- Turkey’s political economy.
- Ümit Akcay and Ali Rıza Güngen (2022) “Dependent financialisation and its crisis: the case of Turkey", Cambridge Journal of Economics, https://doi.org/10.1093/cje/beac006
- Ümit Akcay, Eckhard Hein, and Benjamin Jungmann (2022) “Financialisation and Macroeconomic Regimes in Emerging Capitalist Countries Before and After the Great Recession”, International Journal of Political Economy, 51:2, 77-100, https://doi.org/10.1080/08911916.2022.2078009
- Ümit Akçay and Oktar Türel (2022) "Import-Substituting Industrialization Strategy and Planning Experience in Turkey, 1960–1980". In: Özçelik E., Özdemir Y. (eds) Political Economy of Development in Turkey. Palgrave Macmillan, https://doi.org/10.1007/978-981-16-7318-4_6
- Görkem Altınörs and Ümit Akcay (2022). "Authoritarian neoliberalism, crisis, and consolidation: the political economy of regime change in Turkey", Globalizations, https://doi.org/10.1080/14747731.2021.2025290
- Ümit Akcay (2021) “Authoritarian consolidation dynamics in Turkey”, Contemporary Politics, 27 (1), 79-104. https://doi.org/10.1080/13569775.2020.1845920
- Ümit Akcay (2018) “Neoliberal Populism in Turkey and Its Crisis”, IPE Berlin Working Paper, No: 100. [Later also appeared in Catalyst, 2018, (1) 4, 179-208]. https://www.ipe-berlin.org/fileadmin/institut-ipe/Dokumente/Working_Papers/IPE_WP_100.pdf
- Ümit Akcay (2018) “Die Krise der türkischen Wirtschaft und die Grenzen abhängiger Finanzialisierung”, PROKLA, Zeitschrift für kritische Sozialwissenschaft, 48 (193), 617–639. https://doi.org/10.32387/prokla.v48i193.1149
His other academic works are available at https://hwr-berlin.academia.edu/UmitAkcay
Dr. Ümit Akcay
Building E, Room E 1.30
Babelsberger Straße 14-16, 10715 Berlin