Ümit Akcay, Assoc.Prof. of Economics, has been a visiting scholar at Berlin School of Economics and Law since 2017. He previously held positions at Istanbul Bilgi University, Atılım University and METU in Turkey between 2016 and 2017, at the Department of Politics and at MEIS in New York University in the US between 2012 and 2015, and at the Department of Economics of Ordu University in Turkey, between 2009 and 2012. He has a Ph.D. in development economics from Marmara University, Turkey.
- International political economy.
- Financialization in emerging capitalist countries.
- Political economy of development.
- Turkey’s political economy.
- “Authoritarian consolidation dynamics in Turkey”, Contemporary Politics, 2021, 27 (1), 79-104. https://doi.org/10.1080/13569775.2020.1845920
- “The Making of Turkey's 2018-2019 Economic Crisis”, IPE Berlin Working Paper, 2019, No: 120, (co- author with Ali Rıza Güngen). https://www.ipe-berlin.org/fileadmin/institut-ipe/Dokumente/Working_Papers/ipe_working_paper_120.pdf
- Financialization, Debt Crisis and Collapse: The Future of Global Capitalism (in Turkish), 3rd Edition, Ankara: Notabene Press, 2019, (co- author with Ali Rıza Güngen).
- “Neoliberal Populism in Turkey and Its Crisis”, IPE Berlin Working Paper, 2018, No: 100. https://www.ipe-berlin.org/fileadmin/institut-ipe/Dokumente/Working_Papers/IPE_WP_100.pdf [Later also appeared in Catalyst, 2018, (1) 4, 179-208].
- “Die Krise der türkischen Wirtschaft und die Grenzen abhängiger Finanzialisierung”, PROKLA, Zeitschrift für kritische Sozialwissenschaft, 2018, 48 (193), 617–639. https://doi.org/10.32387/prokla.v48i193.1149
- Money, Bank, State: The Political Economy of the Central Bank Independence, (in Turkish), Istanbul: SAV Press, 2009.
- Planning of Capitalism: Transformation of Planning and the State Planning Organization in Turkey, (in Turkish), Istanbul: SAV Press, 2007.