Ümit Akcay, Assoc. Prof. of Economics, is currently a visiting lecturer and teaching at Berlin School of Economics and Law. He previously held positions at Istanbul Bilgi University, Atılım University and METU in Turkey between 2016 and 2017, at the Department of Politics and at MEIS in New York University in the US between 2011 and 2015, and at the Department of Economics of Ordu University in Turkey, between 2009 and 2011. He has a Ph.D. in development economics from Marmara University, Turkey. He writes a weekly column in Turkish at Gazete Duvar on various aspects of international political economy.
- International political economy,
- Comparative development studies
- Central banking and financialization
- Financialization, Debt Crisis and Collapse: The Future of Global Capitalism (in Turkish), Ankara: Notabene Press, 2016, co- author with Ali Rıza Güngen.
- Money, Bank, State: The Political Economy of the Central Bank Independence, (in Turkish), Istanbul: SAV Press, 2009.
- Planning of Capitalism: Transformation of Planning and the State Planning Organization in Turkey, (in Turkish), Istanbul: SAV Press, 2007.